Do our politicians ever lie to justify war?
It's easy to believe politicians in other countries lie to justify their wars. And it's even easy to believe a U.S. President would do so—as long as he's a member of another party! But if we expect other people to question the claims of their leaders, then we must do the same with ours.
We will show that our politicians have lied to justify war, and that these lies endanger the American people.
A History of Lies
We want to trust our President. And many of us were impressed by Colin Powell's presentation to the UN Security Council. But anyone can convince us of anything, if they don't share all the evidence.
You won't hear all the evidence about the Iraq conflict from our politicians, or from most of the "ambulance chasing" media. But you can find it in history books, in investigative journalism, and even in government reports that rarely see the light of day. We have distilled much of this information for you here.
Historians now know that many of our past conflicts were based on lies. Sadly, the full list of these lies would fill many pages covering conflicts over several decades, and spanning every part of the globe. Some of these past lies are exposed here, but please realize that we usually don't learn the whole truth about our wars until many years later, when the damage is already done. Could this be happening now?
Our answer is yes. But this time we don't have to wait for the future history of Gulf War II to be written to know that its justifications are based on a thin tissue of political lies. We can know this now because history is repeating itself.
Many of the leaders who gave us Gulf War I now want to start Gulf War II. So we can judge their credibility now by examining what they did then. The past actions of the Bush Presidents, and their family retainers like Cheney, Powell, and others, expose the lies they are telling today.
But the best political lies are usually wrapped in layers of truth, the better to deceive, and so it is in this case.
- It's true that Hussein is a brutal dictator, but that isn't why Bush wants to remove him. The whole truth is that our politicians have encouraged Hussein's brutality, thus showing that they have no quarrel with his behavior in principle. Read the evidence for this claim by clicking here.
- It's true that Hussein has violated UN resolutions, but that isn't why Bush wants to remove him. The whole truth is that our own politicians have no real respect for international law, and have encouraged Hussein to violate these laws in the past. Read the evidence for this claim by clicking here.
- It's probably true that Hussein has some UN prohibited weapons, but that isn't why Bush wants to remove him. The whole truth is that our politicians have aided Hussein in acquiring these weapons, and encouraged him in their use. Read the evidence for this claim by clicking here.
- It's true that Hussein has invaded his neighbors, but that isn't why Bush wants to remove him. The whole truth is that our politicians encouraged Hussein's first invasion, and were complicit in his second. See Claim #4, Claim #5, and The truth about Hussein's brutality.
But not all government lies are wrapped in layers of partial truth—some are simply lies, unvarnished by any cover of truth.
- We're told that a war on Iraq is the next logical step in the war on terrorism, but it isn't true. Regime change was our government's policy long before 9-11. Our politicians have exploited the 9-11 murders as a justification for their pre-existing desire, without regard to the true needs of the war on terror. See Claim #7.
- We're told that our past foreign interventions were no part of the cause of the 9-11 murders, or of terrorism in general, but it isn't true. Even the Pentagon's own experts think there's a link between terrorism and our foreign policy. Read the evidence for this claim by clicking here.
- We're told that war on Iraq is the only way to protect America, but it isn't true. In reality, invading Iraq will increase the risk we face. And there's a time-tested alternative to pre-emptive war that will make us safer. Read the evidence for this claim by clicking here.
Finally, in addition to giving you the evidence against the war on Iraq, this site also gives you tools to share the truth with your fellow citizens.
- As you read this website you'll be struck by how little of this information has been covered by the electronic media, despite its obsessive 24/7 coverage. So what can we do to get the facts out? Our approach is to broadcast radio ads telling part of the story, and that will bring people to this site to learn more. We need your financial help to broadcast these ads to as many people as possible. This is very urgent. The war could start at any minute. To contribute to our radio ad campaign, click here.
- Second, you can use our online form to email your friends about this site.
- Third, you can follow our progress by subscribing to our free email newsletter, TruthWatch. To subscribe, click here.
Thank you for visiting and supporting TruthAboutWar.org.